Monday, October 22, 2012

Ashley Ltr: 2012-10-22

Helloooo family!

Sounds like a good and fun week! That stinks about the storm though ruining dad's sign but like you said your intentions were good haha! Thanks for the knee advice dad, no its really not doing any better, Bro McKenney from the ward gave me a knee brace that has magnets in it that he said might help, I've been wearing it for the past couple of days and haven't really noticed a change since then but I'll keep doing it at least for a few more days and see if it helps. No my absentee ballot hasn't come yet or my coat. With boots there is a place out here that is only open at the first of every month and they have insane deals on a whole bunch of stuff and they had some boots so I got a pair for $25! I've been told that it doesn't really snow here so just to go mainly for warmth and these ones are definitely warm I'll just have to spray them with water proofing stuff. I'm still thinking about Christmas stuff... Maybe that country CD about pioneers and the Nashville tribute one from Seagull. Clothes are always good. I don't know I'll keep thinking.

We did get a hold of Christy this week! Her baptism didn't end up happening on Saturday... I feel like I'm calling wolf with that one and should just keep it on the down low until after it actually happens. But her husband Jimmy has really been listening a lot lately, we got him a suit for church (well Bro McKenney did) so now he really has no excuse not to come. They didn't come yesterday though which was a huge bummer so we went over there last night to see what was up and I guess Christy is really sick and they were having car problems. So I was a little less bummed after talking to them but we'll get em next week! We also ordered Christy and Jimmy both the big print Books of Mormon because they both struggle with reading the smaller print, so that rules out that excuse too! I'm getting pretty good at not taking excuses from people I'm starting to call them out on it. For example Roy called us Saturday night and was like I probably won't come to church because it's to early and I'm tired but I was like Roy this is church, God and your eternal salvation we're talking about here, laziness is not an excuse not to come so you better come up with something better than that. He came to church. :) We hear so many excuses it drives me crazy! Amber's annoying yet insightful quote has come in handy numerous times, "An excuse no matter how valid weakens the character of the giver!" haha I love it.

I think a few weeks ago I told you a little about Laura and Austin Payne... They are a young couple about my age, with an 18 month old daughter. Austin is a member but hasn't been for awhile and missionaries have been over there a couple times before and tried to talk with Laura but it hasn't really gone anywhere. That's just because they hadn't had Sister Bedke and Walker over there! Laura has grown up in the Church of God I think where they are taught that the Book of Mormon is bad and is adding to the Bible so she hasn't ever accepted a copy. But we explained more about the Book of Mormon and that it's not adding to the Bible. We each bore our testimonies of it and explained how it's blessed our lives and guess what?! She accepted a copy and wants to start taking the discussions!!! :) :) :) So that was way exciting, I'm anxious to teach them both! Austin seemed excited to that she wants to learn more and he also bore his testimony that if she'd just read it she'd know why it's so important, it was really cool. The spirit really is an amazing thing.

We have been focusing a lot on the less actives in the ward (and there are a lot!) and trying to get them reactivated. There are a couple we're especially close with, one her name is Sister Harrison, we help her with her yard work every Saturday. She hasn't been to church in a few years but we keep inviting her and I'm thinking one of these days she'll break down and come. Also we meet with another lady Sister Menaugh who hasn't been to church in years either and can't right now because she is raising two of her grandsons, whose parents are very anti to the church so she's holding off until the youngest one is 8 because then they will be accountable. But she has told us numerous times how grateful she is that we come and see her, she literally lives in the middle of nowhere and has no car so visitors are few and far between. I just really want all these less actives to come back.

We had ward conference yesterday and the stake presidency came and spoke. President Griffey kept saying over and over how we are running out of time and every member needs to be doing everything we can to share the gospel and to bring these people into the fold. There really has been an urgency behind a lot of talks lately. It's exciting and kinda scary but I love that I get to be right in the middle of it all right now!

I think that about covers the highlights of the week. Just please continue to keep Jimmy and Christy, and now Austin and Laura in your prayers! I love and miss you all!! xoxoxo

Love,

Sister Bedke

No comments:

Post a Comment