Monday, November 4, 2013

Ashley Ltr: 2013-10-28



Subject:  It takes courage to lead and sometimes it takes faith to follow

October 28, 2013
Hey y'all!!

That was such a cool story about Brooke and the jokes and that Dad actually said them they were pretty funny, I sure love Brooke and Jace and their sense of humor, it always brings a smile to my face! :)

I hope Amb has had a better week, I've been praying for you a lot sis!!

Well this week was definitely better than last week, no one screamed or cussed us out so that's good!! :) Sorry for being such a downer, I hate writing e-mails like that, luckily they don't happen to often.

It's been kinda slow work wise... We were doing so well just a couple of weeks ago investigators wise but lately everyone is either to busy, won't answer the door, or has stopped keeping commitments. But we had a couple of potentials pop up this weekend, hopefully something will come of those!

We did a lot of LA work again this week. We've been going through the ward list to see who we don't know (which is still a lot!) and have made up a list of probably close to 30 people/families so far who don't live here anymore. Come to find out some of them haven't lived here for a few years haha yah that's kinda embarrassing, people look at you like you're an idiot. Oh well though someones gotta do it. And this will save a lot of time for future missionaries who come through.

On Tuesday we headed down to Lakeway area for a bi-zone conference where Elder Lawerence Corbridge (author of the 4th missionary Amb) from the 70 came and spoke to us. Oh. My. Heck. It was SO GOOD! Geez I think one of my favorite things about him was how plainly and simply he spoke to us. Also this is going to sound weird but I liked how he wasn't that eloquent of a speaker, he stumbled over his words several times and had kind of a stutter but he would always stop and close his eyes when that happened and you could just see the revelation coming into his mind it was so cool! He talked a lot about repetition and how important it is to drive home the gospel of Jesus Christ in every lesson, those very basic truths. It's cool if you go through chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel in every lesson it touches on some aspect of faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end in every section.

The leadership of the mission got to have a separate meeting with him afterwards which was cool, he talked a lot about how it's our job to set the example and to drive home the basics to the missionaries we work with. I tell you what that saying, where much is given much is required has never rang more true to me than these last few months. There is so much that is expected of me as a missionary especially as a sister training leader but I really have been so blessed from it and have learned  A TON! Something I never really thought much of myself as was a leader but Heavenly Father is teaching me otherwise, it's a very humbling position to be in but I really do love it. I love making decisions (well most of the time haha) and taking charge of things, delegating out, and working together with other people to help those around me out.

I've really learned a lot about leadership especially these last couple of transfers, I love my companions but if I don't do something or delegate things out then things don't get done. Sometimes I feel like I'm dragging 2 dead weights and have to constantly encourage and push them to do something. Sister Fox isn't that way all the time but I always have to be the one to have the final say of things or things won't get done... I am learning more patience though and learning how to delegate things out to other people instead of me just doing it all. They really are great just need some encouragement. :) Trust and love is really what it comes down to if we don't have that then no changes would happen.

We had two exchanges this week with the Johnson City sisters and Abingdon sisters. This transfer is so much better companionships wise, there really isn't any drama and everyone seems to get along pretty well. Thank goodness! :)

We had our ward Halloween party on Friday which was fun and we had several non-members there! Sister Passey from the ward brought a friend and she said she told her afterwards, "I am so lost." Sister Passey (former sister missionary) of course jumped on that and said I know what can help, so she's going to ask her if she'd like to take the discussions! She seems pretty promising! :) This ward is seriously incredible at fellowshipping people and getting things done, I LOVE IT!

On my exchange with Abingdon we went to their ward Halloween party too and Sister Van Wagoner and I played boccee (sp?) ball against the stake president and another brother and we smoked them! Haha it was fun, so I made my mark in Abingdon Virginia as a way good boccee baller haha! :)

Life really is going great, I just wish we were busier. That'll come in time though through our faith and diligence.

Thought for the week...

"If we humbly, quietly trust in the Lord, He will give us strength and guidance in every challenge we face. When our only desire is to please Him, we will be blessed with a deep inner peace." ---Elder Porter (May 2013 Ensign)

I sure love and miss y'all!! xoxoxo

Sister Bedke :)

No comments:

Post a Comment