Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ashley Ltr: 2012-09-24



Hey fam!

Yes I did get dad's journal pages! Seriously dad it was like I was rereading some of my journal entries, we've written almost the exact same thing a few times haha like father like daughter! It's interesting that you said you feel like the work here is about to explode, I've felt the same way, 30 years later, now only if it'll hurry up and happen! That neighborhood party sounds awesome!! I think it should definitely be a yearly tradition!! What a great way to get to know friends and neighbors, no pressure just fun and fellowship, that’s awesome! Tell grandma and grandpa thank you thank you!! Yah just send it to the mission office because I'm not sure if I'll still be here or not, transfers are next week! Holy smokes! This is my last week of training... In some ways I can't believe it and in others it's like I'm only 3 months in sheesh... I try not to think about it that way but some days it seems like I'll be out here forever.

I hate to send a discouraging letter home but that's pretty much what this week has been is discouraging... It's been one of those weeks that I wonder why the heck I'm out here and I feel like it's just a big waste of time. We were really excited about a couple of potential investigators who we were supposed to meet with on Saturday, and one of them was a whole family. They both said they'd be there when we called to confirm and then neither one was there... I was so disappointed. There's been a lot of why's in my prayers. Why would Heavenly Father lead us to these people and then they not even be there? We are working so hard and trying really hard to be exactly obedient but I feel like we're not seeing any success. The other day we were out tracting and the first place we came to an older man was outside and he seemed really friendly at first but then he started Bible bashing us like crazy. Saying crap like God isn't perfect and that the first woman on the earth was Adam. We obviously weren't going to get anywhere with him so we said we had to go and he throws the devil fleeth from righteousness scripture at us and told us to go to hell. Great way to start out the evening eh? Oh man I was so mad, it took all I had not to explode at him and not to cry, he was so mean and heartless and the worst part was that two of his grandkids were there and as we were leaving he tells them that Mormons are of the devil and that he's teaching them this crap makes me so angry because it's effecting an entire generation. Thank goodness that doesn't happen very often but still it hurts, if I didn't know that I'm supposed to be out here and that I'm serving where I'm supposed to I really don't know that I'd still be out here. It wouldn't seem worth it but I DO know and that made it a little easier to stomach.

Also I know I haven't talked a whole lot about Roy but we've been working with him ever since I got here, and we had to do a drop lesson with him this week. Wow that was hard. It was my first one and it really took all I had not to start crying. He knows the gospel is true and the Book of Mormon but he won't stop smoking so since he's no longer progressing we had to drop him. It makes me sick that a stupid cigarette has so much control over a person. He wasn't bitter or angry about it though and he still calls us each night to make sure we're okay and he came to church yesterday. We talked a lot about eternal families and the temple and the sealing power that can only happen there and last night he asked a lot of questions about it, so it might not happen while I'm out here but I really think he'll eventually have that desire to quit and will be baptized.

On a brighter note Christy was a lot happier when we went to see her this week. She's not ready to get baptized right now but hopefully with time she'll be ready too, and her husband sat in on the lesson which was a first! Now if we can only get him to come to church.

In answer to some of your questions... We pray with people on their doorstep when we feel prompted to, it's a cool experience it always leaves a smile on the peoples faces. Yes we're still doing bingo, I love it!! Those people make my day! No it's not really humid anymore at least not right now but it is getting cold! At night especially... I might freeze to death this winter in a skirt! Yah I'm getting a lot more comfortable with door approaches, and I'm not sure how the teachings going yet cuz it feels like forever since we have taught anybody... Sister Walker gave me a really great compliment though. She told me how much I've grown in the past 3 months and loves that when I put my mind to something I get it done, she said I've been a strength to her when getting to know members because that's something she really struggles with. She doesn't give compliments very often so it made me feel good. :)

It sounds like things are going great at home! Congrats on the wins Brooker and Jace! And Madi I just love you and your smiling face!! I'm excited to hear about the dance Court! I hope the letter comes soon. That's so exciting you get to go to the first session mom!! I'm so excited to go to that temple. I did send you a letter Brooke and pictures did y’all not get them?? I'll have to see what happened there... Well I better wrap up. Sorry this letter isn't as positive as some of the others, but hopefully this week will be better! I love and miss you all!! xoxoxo

Love,

Sister Bedke :)

No comments:

Post a Comment