Monday, September 10, 2012

Ashley Ltr: 2012-09-10


Hellooooooooo family!

It sounds like things are going just great there at home! And peach days sounds way fun! I'm excited to go when I get back. That fireside you were talking about sounds awesome! I've come to realize truly how important family history work is, and there is SO MUCH to be done! I was wondering though we had a less active lady in the ward ask us (she is huge into family history) say someone was married multiple times and had children with each of those spouses, how are you supposed to know which person to seal them to and where to seal the kids? All I could tell her is it's one of those things that we don't have to worry about because our Savior will work it all out in the next life. That was easy for me to say cuz I haven't ever had to worry about that but for her this is a legitimate concern, she was married twice and had kids with both husbands and she said she knows she needs to trust that Heavenly Father will take care of it all but it's something she worries about a lot. I know a lot of it comes down to faith but is there something that's been taught concerning that subject? There are so many questions people ask that I'm like man I've never even thought of that before...

This week has been rough teaching wise, but great growing and learning wise!  We found out that Josh is in some kind of rehab hospital for who knows how long and not really sure what for either. He seems so sincere when we talk to him he says he still wants to get baptized and that he's reading the Book of Mormon but then his actions are speaking a lot louder than his words. I just don't know what to do... And Christy oh boy... We haven't been able to get a hold of her since last time her daughter called telling us she had a mental break down. So we decided to go drop in on her. When we walked in there was just a depressing feeling when you walked in, her walls used to be filled with pictures of her family but when we got there everything on the walls was taken down. We asked her what was going on and she told us that her daughter just moved out to live with her boy friend, I guess Christy flipped out about it and they haven't really talked since. So now she is super depressed. We have an appt with her on Wednesday so hopefully we can get a better picture of what’s going on but I have no idea what to tell someone who is going through stuff like this!! Thinking about it stresses me out so bad. There will be a lot of heart felt prayers said in her behalf so we can know how to help her. It just breaks my heart what some people go through and how families treat each other. I am so grateful for you guys, my wonderful family, who has always been there to support me through the thick and thin and who I know will always be there for me. I really have been so blessed!! Also I'm so grateful that I had the privilege to be raised in the gospel, I used to sometimes take for granted being raised in the church but NEVER again will I have that mind set. It's a gift we've been given that really a lot of people don't know anything about and yet for some reason we were blessed to be born into the covenant. And it's our responsibility to share that gift we have with all those around us!

Exchanges went great! Sister Mickelson and I found 2 new investigators that day and taught a lot of lessons, it was an awesome day! When we switched back I was so excited to tell Sister Walker about the success we'd had. Her response though was cool. That's it. I was so hurt, she didn't even care about the success we'd had. She also came back really bossy, treating me like I was 5 years old it really annoyed me and made me mad that she all of a sudden started treating me like this. The next morning I told her how I was feeling because I knew I couldn't be feeling like this towards her or we wouldn't be effective. I was very honest (I'm getting so much better at expressing myself and my feelings, it's something I've prayed for a lot and I'm getting a lot better) and she sincerely apologized for acting that way towards me. She said it's the way she is sometimes and she knows she needs to work on it so she asked me to tell her whenever she's acting that way. I was glad that she was willing to listen and didn't get mad or offended because by what I'd said. I asked for a blessing after district meeting and was brought a lot of peace and comfort from it. It talked a lot about how the Lord is very pleased with my service and that I'm where I am supposed to be it also mentioned a few things from my patriarchal blessing. The priesthood is amazing! :)

We finally got in touch with a few less actives in the ward that we've trying to see for weeks. We had good visits with both of them and they both invited us back. I guess the one couple, the Harrisons, haven't let missionaries in their home for over 3 years so that was a little miracle right there! We're also working a lot with a family Brandy and Kris Arhart who were recently baptized and Kris's mom Lisa Hamilton. They are an AWESOME family!!! Ahh I just love them, we always have so much fun and have really good discussions about the gospel. Lisa was baptized a long time ago but totally for the wrong reasons and hasn't been active since but she's seen the difference the gospel has made in Kris's life and wants to retake the missionary discussions. She has come to church the past 3 weeks in a row and loves it. The gospel really does change lives!

For p day today we're finally going with Sister Cox from the ward (the one who wanted all the pictures to put in the Dalton ward history book) to the Joseph Standing memorial and so I can finally see that book! There have been a few more people I've talked to dad that remember you! I can't remember if I told you this last week but Sister Turner said to tell you hello and she just thinks it’s incredible that I'm now here serving! I LOVE this ward!! The people here are incredible and I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to work with them and learn from them. They strengthen my testimony so much, I always look forward to Sunday now!

Being a missionary is incredible. Hard and discouraging sometimes, but if I don't convert anyone while serving (which won't happen!!) but if it doesn't, I myself have become fully converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know without a shadow of a doubt that this gospel is true and I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father has given me the opportunity to serve Him and come to these realizations for myself and for the effect this will have on me and my future family. The Book of Mormon really is the word of God, another testament of Jesus Christ and I have come to love it so much and really look forward to studying from it everyday. Woohoo the gospel is amazing!!!!! :) :) :)

I gotta wrap up. Thanks for all the letters this week! I love hearing from y’all! Love and miss you!! xoxoxo

Sister Bedke

p.s. Sorry I guess I forgot to mention that Sister Walker didn't end up losing her driving privileges because the damage to the car was less than $500 or something like that so for now she's still the driver... :/ Pray for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment