Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ashley Ltr: 2012-09-04


Hola mi familia!

So good to hear from y'all!  It sounds like things are going great at home!  That's so fun you had all the cousins there hanging out.  How is Alexa liking school so far?  It's kinda cool all of them are going to school in Utah so they can all get together a lot more often!  Yes I did get the package!!  Thank you, thank you!  I loved the shirt and the letters from the family, that was awesome and it has now become my pj shirt, it feels like I'm getting hugs from the family every time I wear it, I love it!  And thanks for the cookies Brooker, they of course were the bomb.  And I totally called that picture of Baylee also the article about U Matt's friend.  It was funny Sister Walker was like do you know everyone in Utah?  haha.

This week has been so so...  We reset a baptism date for Josh but then he skipped out on church again so I don't know what the deal is there.  And Christy she was all set for Saturday but (it seems like there's always a but lately...) then we were visiting with her a few days before and she shared with us that she wants to know the person that would be baptizing her before because the idea of not knowing someone and having them touch her absolutely terrified her to death.  Putting two and two together I think she was sexually abused when she was younger and has a very hard time trusting men or anybody really since then.  So we had originally planned on the bishop performing the baptism and we arraigned it so that he could come out and meet her but then we got a call from her daughter saying that she has strep throat and had a mental break down and wasn't up to seeing anybody... :( I just really hope that she hasn't worried herself sick over the baptism...  We're planning on seeing her tomorrow to see what's going on.  She has gotten close with a couple in the ward the McKenney's they are 88 and 90 years old and still kickin!  Originally we assumed that Bro McKenney couldn't baptize her cuz he's so old but he told us "Of course I can!!  It's in the water so it'll be easy."  Haha they are awesome!  So maybe that'll lessen her fears.

We've started working with a very less active Lisa Hamilton, she recently moved in with her son and daughter in law who are recent converts.  She got baptized for the wrong reasons a long time ago but now she has seen the differences that the gospel has made in her sons life and knows that she needs to make some changes.  She is very open and asks a lot of questions, she is great and it'll be fun to get to work with her more through the weeks.  We're also still working with Evon Turner who I told you about last week and her grandkids, we've gone twice now and she wants us to keep coming.  Her biggest thing right now is getting up in the morning to come to church...  But I know if she'd just do it once she'd love it!  Her grandkids Haley and Avery are way cute and LOVE having us come over :).  Her husband kinda listened the first time we were there but this time he just worked out on his truck.  Other than that we haven't really found any real investigators.  I feel like the work here is just waiting to explode we just have to look long and hard for those who are ready for it.

Yesterday we went and had dinner with a Spanish family who spoke ZERO English.  We went with a couple of the Elders who tried translating for us but it was hard.  Then all of a sudden he looks at me and was like will you explain this principle, totally caught me way off guard so I tried but he was talking over me in Spanish and I just couldn't focus on what I was saying haha pretty sure I looked like an idiot.  Luckily they were all members but I was really wishing I knew Spanish.  Yesterday we also were able to get in touch with a very less active couple in the ward, Sister Walker was very surprised that they let us in, but we had a really good visit with them and they invited us back, which is a good sign!  But when we invited them to church she told us flat out no, she couldn't sit that long and dropped the subject...  Some people I just don't understand.  There is nothing that says you have to sit the whole time get up and walk around if you have too.  Sheesh...  To answer your question about fast Sunday, they're awesome here!  So many strong testimonies and some interesting ones too haha, there really never is a dull moment in this ward.

Today we are on exchanges with Signal Mountain, I stayed behind this time and I'm working with Sister Mickelson again.  So I'm the missionary in charge for 24 hours!  :/  I'm excited but nervous, but I finally get to drive and not have to be worried for my life when I get in the car!  :)

I'm so happy to hear that Gina is doing better!  That is amazing!  And that things are going well for you as bishop, dad.  I really do have a whole new love and respect for any bishop, they are all amazing and do such an amazing work.  Thanks for the letters Court and Jacer man, I loved them.  I think that's about all for the week.  I love and miss you all.  God bless!  xoxoxo

Sister Bedke

p.s.  Can I get the recipe for our corn bread and muddy buddies por favor?
p.s.s.  My feet are finally callousing (is that a word??) up!!  So they're not nearly as sore thank heaven!!  So I haven't used the oils yet but if it happens again I definitely will.

No comments:

Post a Comment