Monday, August 13, 2012

Ashley Ltr: 2012-08-13

August 13, 2012  10:03 AM

Heyyyyyyyy family!!

Thank you so much for all the e-mails this week, I was surprised when I opened it up and found 10 unread e-mails!! That's always a great feeling. And I loved the video e-mail!! I think I'll be okay, it made me really happy not sad or homesick. Now I just need to get some head phones so the entire library doesn't listen in haha.

It sounds like the reunion was a huge, fun success! I'd love to see pictures from it! And mom!! I'm so proud of you for doing all the stuff!! Woohooooooo!!! When does school start there? Do y'all have any more plans before then?

This week was a lot better. It had a lot of highs and one major low... But such an improvement from last week!! Tuesday we met with Josh and he was so excited and ready to get baptized, he seriously is golden investigator to a T! I guess before he had a smoking/tobacco problem but as soon as we taught him the Word of Wisdom, he stopped that day. He told us, "I'm not going to tell you it's been easy, because it hasn't but it's been worth it. And you sisters make me want to be a better person, I don't know how I can ever thank you for bringing the gospel into my life." I almost cried I was so happy, and I told him the best thanks he could ever give us is just to be baptized and keep living the gospel, and he said that he definitely would! So we met with him a couple more times that week to get all the lessons taught which he completely accepted and committed too and we had everything ready to go for his baptism on Saturday. I was one ecstatic missionary! I've always wondered how missionaries back in Bible times or even in Joseph Smith's time could leave their families for years at a time to teach the gospel but if they were baptizing all the time and felt like I was feeling I could definitely see how they stayed out! Then Saturday morning came... And we get a text from him that says, "I can't make it today... sorry." That's all it said, no explanation or anything, so we tried calling but no answer so we hurried over to his house and on the way there saw him biking along the road. We pulled him over and said what's up is everything okay? And he said that his uncles had just called him and told him his grandma was sick and that they were coming to get him today in TN...  I asked him though are you having any doubts? And he assured us that he's not he just needed to go see his grandma. Talk about a let down. I know he had a legitimate reason but I was so upset and didn't understand why this would happen on today of all days.

Then we had an appt right after that, I think I faked it okay but still my head wasn't in the lesson the whole time we were there. When we came home I broke down and cried, I got on my knees and just asked Heavenly Father why?? Why now? I felt like I was failing as a missionary and that I was just wasting my time out here. Sister Walker kinda tried to comfort me in a very awkward kind of way haha which was sweet but I just wanted to talk to my family or be left alone. So I went into my room with my patriarchal blessing, the words from my setting apart and fathers blessing and my scriptures. I decided to just start reading and guess where I turned to I think it was Alma but it was all about faith. It was just what I needed, that simple reminder of faith. There is definitely a reason why it's the first basic principle of the gospel. Without faith life would be impossible. Then my patriarchal blessing backed it right up that I needed to be tested first before I'd see results. Man... I was humbled right up, got on my knees and thanked Heavenly Father for that simple reminder of faith, then I got up and did as President Hinckley's said and got to work! :) So that was the low of the week but you know I think it really turned out to be a high because it was a trial of my faith and I got an answer to my prayers. I love prayer!!

Now the highs of the week!! I don't know if I've said much about Roy but he is someone else we're teaching (he can't get baptized though until 2016 because he's on probation) but he's been taught all the lessons and loves reading from the Book of Mormon. His only hold up is he's having a really hard time quitting smoking. He calls us every night just to make sure we're okay and then tells us what he's read from the BOM and Wednesday night he calls and there was something different in his voice, he sounded really happy and excited and he told us he'd just finished reading Mosiah 3 and how he had it confirmed to him that the BOM is true!! And he doesn't care what any one says he knows that Mormons are Christian and that Joseph Smith was a prophet! Talk about an amazing phone call!! He also said that money is really tight right now so he doesn't have money for coffee or cigarettes! We'll see how long that lasts but he definitely took a big step this week!

Aaaannnnndddd Christy came to church yesterday!!!! Oh my gosh that was so cool! She was super nervous but the ward welcomed her with welcome arms in a non smothering way, it was perfect. When we asked her what she thought she said, it's different (but she said it with a smile on her face!). So I'm anxious to hear what she says when we meet with her this week.

I also had my first cottage meeting this week, which is when you teach investigators in a members home. Which is the BEST way to teach!! And the people we were teaching were this lady, Sister Arhart's, family. It was a really good lesson and we taught the entire family! We walked in and there was 8 people sitting in there ready to listen haha at first it was a little nerve racking but then we said the prayer and jumped right in and the spirit was so strong, it was incredible!! Sister Arhart texted us afterwards and said thank you so much, her mother really enjoyed it and the whole family is planning on coming to church!! That family is awesome and I'm excited to hopefully get to work with them more.

Guess what else happened yesterday?? I experienced my first baptist church meeting! Haha ohhhhhh man, when Christy said this is different, she wasn't kidding! We met a lady Laura, who took us as her guests, we walk in and there is some serious gospel music going on! Then the choir got up and sang at the top of their lungs!! It was cool, and then this lady I don't know if she was just over come with the spirit or what but she just went off for seriously 10 min just praising Jesus and shouting Hallelujah! It was kinda weird and I had to try hard not to start laughing. And the preacher shouted at the top of his lungs the whole sermon, I don't know how he did it for that long but by the end I had a killer headache. People kept going up to the front and kneeling at these benches then got up and would praise the Lord and hug those around them. It was definitely an experience! We're going back Wednesday with her again. If you ever have to opportunity to go to another church do it! Just to see what it's like and it'll make you appreciate our church that much more.

Well I gotta get going. Keep the letters coming. And tell the ward thank you so much for their prayers and concern for me and that I love them. What an amazing ward!! :) I love you all!! xoxoxo

Love,

Sister Bedke

p.s. can I get Brielle's address please? And will you ask her if she got my letter? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment