Monday, July 16, 2012

Ashley Ltr: 2012-07-16


July 16, 2012 12:30 PM

Hey family!!

Oh man it was so good getting your letter, I've been a little homesick okay a lot a bit homesick these past couple of days and that letter really helped me out. So thank you thank you and please keep them coming! Don't forget about hand written letters too! It sounds like everything is going great at home! I'm praying for you Dad as you are spending a lot of time at the bishop’s office... Dad I have so much more love and respect for you being the bishop, I never really realized how much a bishop does for the ward and how much responsibility you carry. Bishop's are seriously amazing and truly do receive revelation for the ward.

I can totally relate with the heat holy smokes you don't know heat until you have 90's and humidity on top of it, I sweat like a big fat man! But dad I'm in the Dalton ward!! Chatsworth is just like 14 miles outside of Dalton. So who all do you remember? Where did you live? Tell me everything! What did your mission president say to you again as you were leaving?

Chatsworth is great! I'm literally in the middle of nowhere though, our apartment is right off the highway like you'd never see it if you weren't looking for it. And man oh man am I in the boonies haha we're talking everything you've seen in those e-mails about fat, sweaty, shirtless, smoking, trailer living people that's where I'm at. Sooooo different from Utah, well the west period. There are no sidewalks, there are homes right next to businesses, it's like there's no town really everything is just all mixed in together. No two houses look the same, if you can even call some of them houses, a lot of people live in trailers, and are very poor. And the streets here are crazy! They are so windy, if we didn't have a gps we'd be lost forever... seriously. And the bugs!! There is one bug here I don't know what it's called yet but it is really loud, it's like a creepy loud chirping noise. Anyway it'll just take some getting used too.

My companions name is Sister Mary Walker, she's from Santaquin, UT and heads home in November I think. She's a cute girl, really quiet, kinda shy, but she's not afraid to let people know what she believes which has been good for me to watch.

Tracting out here in the South is hard. Everything is so spread out and once we get there most everyone says that they are baptist and are happy where they're at. It gets really discouraging going door after door with no success. But then I see all the new members in the ward and have to remind myself that it is possible they are out there, we just have to look really hard for them. The members here though are great to help out though and they love to come teaching and tracting with us which I love! I've gotten to know so many amazing people, the ward is awesome and so loving and inviting, I was hugged so much yesterday at church. :)

Being out here has really gotten the whole every member a missionary concept in my head, seriously without the members the work would come to a standstill. So don't forget that! Even in Utah there are people who need to hear the gospel and need to be fellowshipped. Go on splits with the missionaries, invite them over for FHE and for dinner, it seriously means so much.

Right now we're teaching a guy named Roy who has already had most of the lessons and wants to be baptized but he is on probation until 2016 so he can't be until then and he is having a hard time quitting smoking. But he is a really good guy who is honestly trying to do the right thing, he calls us every night just to check up on us and read us something he's learned in the Book of Mormon.

We're also teaching a couple named Kristy and Jimmy, they are great too. Kristy wants to come to church really bad but won't come without Jimmy and he still isn't sure on everything. But when we taught him on Saturday I guess that was the first time he's actually sat in on a lesson, which is good! And he was really listening, I really hope they start coming to church and let us keep coming. Keep them in your prayers please.

We go on splits a lot with a recent convert named Keyaundra, she is amazing! She's a 28 year old black lady who was baptized almost a year ago, she absolutely loves going out with the missionaries and is preparing to go on a mission herself as soon as she loses a few pounds, but she is great and has the light of Christ shining in her eyes so strong.

Today is pday so in a little bit we're going to head down to Dalton to hang out with the Elders, then we have dinner and FHE with the Black family in the ward. Tomorrow around 4 Sister Walker has to go to a leadership conference so I get to head up to Chatanooga for the next couple of days and teach there, which will be fun!

I'll try and figure out how to send pictures soon but I'm running out of time today. Like I said keep the letters coming, pictures too if you can! Thanks for all the prayers they help me out a lot. I love and miss you all!! xoxoxo

Love,
Sister Bedke

p.s. If ya'll wanted to send me some burned cd's with church music on them, it would be greatly appreciated! Piano music, mo tab anything!

p.s.s. I just realized I didn't say anything about Pres and Sis Irion! Holy cow they are amazing!! I love them so much already. When we got off the plane she was there waving and shouting "You're here! You're finally here!" at first none of us knew who she was because she has gray hair now instead of blonde so we're all like uhh.. who is this lady. haha! But then we saw the tag, she came and gave me a HUGE hug and made me feel so welcomed and loved. And Pres Irion is the same way, they are such a great couple and I hope I get to work with them more. That night at the mission home was really hard for me I got so homesick and just cried and cried. So Sis Holsclaw and I went up to ask for blessings. It was so nice to be able to ask for one even thought I'd just met them a few hours before. It was a great blessing of peace and comfort and made me feel so much better. Don't worry about me. I still get homesick from time to time but I'm doing okay. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment